Sunday, August 25, 2013

Fried Green Tomatoes

 I really love fried green tomatoes. They are my favorite way to eat any tomato. I found out not to long ago from and internet friend of mine that she cans green tomatoes to use in making fried green tomatoes when green tomatoes are not in season. She was kind enough to tell me how to do it. :)

I also learned from another lady on the internet that she dehydrates green tomatoes for sending to her son so he can make fried green tomatoes during the off season. So I decided to try that first. They dried beautifully but when it came time to re hydrate them they did not do well at all. So I tried the canning way next.

I picked a bunch of green tomatoes, washed them good and then sliced them.  I had my jars already to go. Since I am the only one here I used half pint jars where my friend uses wide mouth pints.


I filled the jars to one inch line. Covered them with boiling water to the 1/2 inch mark, added a half a tablespoon lemon juice, wiped the rims of the jars and then added the 2 piece caps. I processed them for 40 minutes in a boiling water bath. They came out looking really good. 



I have a total of 15 half pints to last me till next year. The problem is I am not sure they will last that long with as much as I love to eat them. I have not tried frying the canned ones yet but will do so later this week and then I will report back with the results. But I am sure they will come out pretty good. 

I also had enough red tomatoes to can 7 pints of tomato sauce yesterday. I will be using it to make tomato gravy for hubby once in awhile. 


I hope those of you who can your own foods are having a good canning season. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment