Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Update on canned green tomatoes

I promised you an update on the green tomatoes I canned for having fried green tomatoes during the winter. Well they turned out great and were delicious. I will definitely being doing this again every year.


After opening the jar I drained off all the water. Place the slices gently in a pan of flour, sprinkled them with a little salt and black pepper then turned them over to thoroughly coat them with flour. 




I heated a tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a non stick pan. When the pan was hot enough I added the coated tomatoes and fried them on one side till golden brown then turned them and fried till the other side was golden brown. 



They turned out great and tasted just as good as fresh picked green tomatoes and the texture was no different that fresh cooked ones. :)

You do have to be careful in handling them because they will break apart if not handled gently but they are well worth the being gently with them. They are easy to can and for some one who loves fried green tomatoes like I do it will be great having them canned up to make fried green tomatoes when you can't get fresh ones. 


No comments:

Post a Comment