Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day Cookout

I cooked hamburgers and hot dogs out in the grill today but since the temp got up to 97 outside and it was very muggy we ate indoors. I made potato salad and pasta salad as sides and girlled fresh corn for the vegetable. For dessert I made an old fashion pineapple upside down cake in my grandmothers 1930's Griswold frying pan. I love that pan and use it at least twice a week. I cook mainly in cast iron. To me it just gives food a better flavor then the non stick pans do. And since I keep them well seasoned clean up is a breeze. :)

For a frugal tip I save the juice from canned fruits to make cakes and quick breads. If a cake recipe or mix calls for 1 1/3 cups water. I use the juice I drained from a can of fruit and add just enough water to make 1 1/3 cups liquid. That way I get to use every bit of what my money bought. :)

Below is the pineapple cake I made today in my grandmothers cast iron pan. I used the juice from the can of pineapple I opened as part of the liquid I needed for the cake mix. The recipe called for 1 1/3 cups water. I had one cup of juice after draining the contents of the can so I just added 1/3 cups water to get the amount called for. There was 5 guys here and they ate over half the cake. I have just enough for the 3 of us to get a piece later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment