Saturday, December 1, 2012

Canning Hamburger



Our local store had ground  hamburger on sale this week for $1.99 a pound so I bought 20 pounds to can. I used less than 10 pounds which I fried along with some fresh chopped onions, salt and pepper. When the hamburger was cooked I drained it all through a mesh strainer and then rinse it with hot water to remove as much grease as I could. Packed the meat into jars, covered with some beef broth, wipe the rims, added lids and rings and processed in a pressure canner for 1 hour and 15 minutes. It came out great. I had used some of the hamburger from the 10 pounds to fix hubby and I hamburgers that day for lunch so I only got 8 -12 oz jars and 8 pints of hamburger canned up. These will come in handy for busy days when I want a fast fix meal. I can open one of these and make spaghetti, sloppy joe's, lasanga, home made hamburger helper, quick pot of hamburger soup or any other dish that uses precooked hamburger in it. I love have fast fix meals on hand and an extra bounus is that hubby or son can put together a nice meal if I am sick with just a little help from me. :)

BTW one jar is missing because it didn't seal so its sitting in the ref. for tomorrow's dinner. Waste not want not my grandma always taught me! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment