Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Bottled Gas... Er make that pass the Beano please

Yesterday I canned some more beans. I did them pretty much the same way I did the first two batches. This time I did plain pinto beans that hubby can eat as it with cornbread or I can use to make re fried beans. I figured out that the price of canning 10 pints of pinto beans worked out to 35 cents a jar where as I have to pay a $1.09 for a can at my local store. At least for me it is quite cost effective to can my own versus buying them already in a can and at least I know every ingredient that is in them.

I started with 2 pounds of pinto beans and I wound up with 10 pints plus a nice size bowl for hubby to have with cornbread tonight and tomorrow.


After the pinto beans were done I did Bean w/Bacon soup. For that I used two pounds of Great Northern Beans, a half a pound of bacon and a half a cup of dehydrated carrots.


After sorting and rinsing the beans several times I placed them in a big stock pot and added the bacon and dehydrated carrots.

 I added enough water to bring the water level 3 inches above the beans, brought them to a boil and boiled for 2 minutes then lowered the heat to medium and let them simmer for 1 hour. Then I filled the jars, wiped the rims, added the two piece lids and placed them in the pressure canner and processed them for 90 minutes at 10 pounds pressure. I had processed the pints of pintos for 75 minutes. 


Pintos and Bean w/Bacon Soup


My two day total of canning beans left me with 7 quarts of Baby Butter Beans w/ Ham, 9 pints of 15 Bean Soup, 10 pints of Pinto and 5 quarts of Bean w/Bacon Soup. 

Now all I have to do is lay in a good supply of Beano so hubby can enjoy all his beans. :)

Next week I will be canning Black Eyed Peas but that is going to have to wait until I go buy some more pint jars. I am out and since hubby is the only real bean eater in the Family I can most beans in pints. Except for the butter beans. That one bean I really like. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment