Friday, January 25, 2013

Cheesy Potato Bacon Soup

I didn't have time to take pictures while making this soup because I had to watch out for my husband who was outside helping my son get the snow blower going. My husband has severe COPD and he can hardly breathe in cold air.

This is a spin off that I came up with from an old Amish Potato soup recipe that I have been using for years. I tweaked the original recipe to fit my family's taste.



To make you will need:

8 slices bacon
6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 teaspoon minced dried onion (original recipe calls for one whole onion chopped)
2 teaspoons salt
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup cold water
6 cups milk
8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Chop bacon and brown in a skillet, set aside.

Place potatoes and onion in a large pot. Cover with water, add salt and cook till the potatoes are done. Drain. Mash slightly. Melt butter in a skillet, add flour and cook for one minute. Add the 1 cup water and cook till thickened. Add to the potatoes and then add the milk. Add bacon and the drippings. Then add the shredded cheese and some black pepper and cook on med heat until thoroughly warm and thickened and the cheese is melted. Serve with sandwiches or crackers.

For those that are like me and do not like cheese plain potato soup can be pulled out of the pot and set aside before the cheese is added to the pot.


                                                                Plain Potato Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment